The struggles of starting a YouTube Channel in 2018- Blog #1

When I first told my husband that I wanted to start a YouTube Channel showcasing Filipino cuisine, he wasn't exactly head over heels with the idea. Not that he wasn't being a supportive loving husband that he is, he just knew that YouTube has grown into an empire and that starting out wouldn't exactly be a walk in the park. He immediately told me that you can't just use an iphone or laptop camera and make videos, your videos have to be high quality. There needs to be good lighting and sound quality. Which he is absolutely right, I would be going head to head with YouTubers who have been creating videos since YouTube started in 2005. Many of which have made YouTube a full time career and are incredibly successful. 

So am I too late in the game to start a YouTube channel?.... Maybe... Maybe not??

I spent countless hours studying my favorite YouTuber's like Pailin's kitchen, Panlasang pinoy, Natasha's kitchen, Laura in the kitchen and the list goes on. Trying to figure out what's the secret to their success. Then spending my sleepless nights while baby is sleeping, watching "how to create a recipe video" "how to start a YouTube channel" "how to grow your channel in 2018" "how to be successful on Youtube". There are even YouTuber's who host seminars on how to be a YouTuber. 

I studied, I wrote my recipes, I wrote my introduction to my video, I practiced talking in front of a camera; and the moment I decided to film my first recipe video in hopes of being a future YouTuber; it was a complete and utter fail. I wasn't the most natural in front of the camera, I kept stumbling with my words, I wasn't speaking loud enough, my recipe didn't work, I was completely awkward and I almost... almost felt defeated. 

So back to the drawing board I go, maybe I could just make recipe videos where I don't show myself and don't talk, that could work right? There are tons of recipe videos like that.

On February 10, 2018 I published my first YouTube video, How to make filipino chicken adobo with quail egg. It was so much fun creating the video, but to be completely honest those aren't the exact measurements to how I make my chicken adobo, because I don't have exact measurements when I cook. But the dish was delicious and I am still very proud of that first video and it is my most popular video on my YouTube page thus far. Since that first video, the quality and content of my videos keep improving and its been a fun learning experience producing these videos. I'm able to shoot the video's and do all the editing by myself. I absolutely love editing my videos, its new found hobby I didn't think I would enjoy as much as I do now.

Here we are now; 14 videos later, a couple of failed test recipes, which then led to meltdowns and self doubting. I took the Easter long weekend to take a break and revisit my YouTube strategy, but mainly to put myself back together and remember why I started this project in the first place. It also helps to have a great group of friends and family who show so much support. 

BIG THANK YOU to my friends and family! I truly appreciate your compliments and loving support. To my parents, who watch my little one while I make my videos and who are stuck eating all the food I make for the video, which sometimes we end up eating all week lol. To my husband, who does the research and buys all the equipment I need in order to film. Who also has to listen to me talk about YouTube analytics and hours watched; and has to test the recipes even when they don't turn out.

And to the person who is the reason for all this, my little baby Ethan. 

I hope you continue to follow me on this project of mine and see where it will take me.



















Comments

Popular Posts