Teriyaki Mussel Stir Fry

I love seafood, when I was searching for different ways to enjoy teriyaki sauce. Because it is quite the popular sauce, I did not find many recipes for mussels and teriyaki sauce. This was my inspiration for the Teriyaki sauce month. When I first made this it was the perfect marriage of mussel and sweet soy flavor. I love the pop of heat from the chilis. Another easy fast dish for a weekday meal.



Ingredients

1/2 cup Teriyaki sauce (link)
1/2 lb mussels in half shell
1/2 Fresno chili
1 tbsp sliced ginger
3 cloves minced garlic
2 green onions diced
sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste'
optional: chinese cooking wine


  1. The mussels I am using are from frozen, where I'm from we aren't fortunate to have fresh seafood. I am using organic new zealand half shell mussels (which can be found at asian grogery stores). You can also use mussels in full shell (seen these at costco, although they are quite tiny and don't have much meat). I just like using half shell as it's easier to eat and have more meat. I rinsed the mussels and pulled any seaweed coming out of the mussel. Try to dry as much liquid as you can. 
  2. In a wok add 2 tbsp oil and 1/2 tsp sesame oil, heat on medium high. 
  3. Add the garlic, chili, ginger and whites of green onion. Saute until fragrant about 2-3 mins.
  4. Add the mussels and stir fry until coated with aromatics. Optional: Add the chinese cooking wine or add 1 tbsp seafood broth or chicken broth. Turn the mussel over that way the meat is facing downward towards pan. Cover and allow to steam for 5 mins. 
  5. Allow most of the liquid to evaporate. We don't want to dilute the teriyaki sauce with too much liquid left in the wok. 
  6. Add 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce, stir fry until mussels are well coated. 
  7. Salt and pepper to taste.
  8. Garnish with greens of green onion. 

Comments

Popular Posts