Instant Pot Beef Nilaga- Beef Cabbage Potato Soup

I've been loving my instant pot lately, I tend to forget about it when it's tucked away. But since its been really cold where I am, -35 degrees to be exact, there's nothing like hot soup to keep you warm. I'm using korean style beef short ribs, mainly because I find it more versatile to cook with. I used two types of potatoes, yellow sweet potato and regular potatoes. If you can't find yellow sweet potato just omit it. It was also very difficult to find fresh french green beans anywhere, so I used frozen yellow and green tender greens. Feel free to add other types of cabbages or leafy greens, this is what I had on hand and this is typically what is used.

 

Ingredients
Beef Short Ribs- Korean style cut
1/2 onion large dice
1/2 tsp black peppercorn
1 tsp salt
1 beef bouillon or 2 tsp chicken broth
2.5 cups water
1/4 head of cabbage
handfull of yellow/green beans
1 yellow sweet potato (Kamote)
2 small potatoes

1. In a small pot blanch the short ribs, this will remove excess blood and bone fragments. It will also make the broth clear. If you skip this part you will have to skim the broth. Blanch 5 mins, rinse and set aside.

2. In the instant pot, add the blanched short ribs, onion, black peppercorn, 1 tsp salt, 1 beef bouillon and 2.5 cups of water. Cover and pressure cook for 25 mins. Ensure the lid is on seal.

3. Once finished cooking allow to vent until the steam stops. Open using gloves.

4. Set the instant pot to saute mode on medium and add the sweet potatoes and potatoes. Cook for 5 mins until the potatoes are slightly tender. Test with a fork. 

5. Lower the instant pot saute mode to low and add the cabbage. Cover and cook another 3 mins.

6. Uncover and add the yellow and green beans. You can adjust the broth at this point. I added another 1/2 tsp of salt. 

7. Turn the instant pot off and serve the soup with some warm rice or eat by itself. 




Comments

Popular Posts