Turkey Meatball Cabbage Soup- Turkey Meatball Nilaga

I had plenty of leftover ground turkey after making my Turkey and Mash Potato "cupcakes", I decided to make something light and healthy. I love a good nilaga, which is a filipino soup that usually has potatoes, cabbage, green beans and sometimes corn. Here's my simplified version using meatballs which cuts the cooking time in half. I also used napa cabbage cause that's what I had in the fridge. You can use bok choy or spinach instead of the yu choy. But definitely don't skip out of the potatoes. This is a nice beautiful soup to enjoy when it's cold outside.


Ingredients
10-12 small sized meatballs
(visit my turkey "cupcake" recipe for what I put in the meatballs- Turkey and Mash recipe )
1 cup napa cabbage
1 cup Yu choy or bok choy
2 small potatoes diced
1/2 onion diced
1/2 tsp whole black pepper
6 cups of chicken broth or 
6 cups of water with 6 tsp chicken broth powder
1 tsp salt (depends on broth, season to taste)

1. In a soup pot, add the 6 cups of broth or 6 cups of water. If using 6 cups of water follow instructions to your chicken powder. Mine called for 1 tsp per 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil.

2. Add the whole black pepper, 1 tsp salt and onions, allow to boil for 5 mins.

3. Add the potatoes and the meatballs, simmer on medium heat for 10 mins until potatoes are soft.

4. Add the napa cabbage and yu choy, lower the heat to medium low and cook until the cabbage is soft.

5. Taste the broth and add salt to taste, I added another 1 tsp of salt to mine. But this will depend on your broth. 

6. Serve in a soup bowl and enjoy on its own or you can eat this with some white rice. 


Comments

Popular Posts